Tell me what you think and then I'll tell you what we think!
(Of course, he had to throw the Barker's in there!)
24 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Thanks for a great laugh! That boy is hysterical! If he wants a cell for "responsible" reasons then tell him you'll get him the "Jitter" cell.:) Then the true colors will come out. :) All jokes aside...if the finances are there then get him a cell. I would make him pay for his bill though. Tell him he can come do chores for the Mascot's for extra cash. Seriously thanks for the laugh. I love moments like that!
Wanda! - I'm so happy you have become an official blogger - even though you are anonymous. I admit I did not know what a 'jitter' cell was but laughed so hard when I saw it was mostly for senior citizens! I think those HUGE buttons would be the talk at the middle school! I actually may have to get that phone for my SC Dad!
Emily - Alec wants to come mow your lawn for free after that comment!
Charise - Seriously, with a lake so close to us, isn't it the smart thing to do!?:) (I was really mad that day)
Claudia - would you still be convinced if it was YOUR 13 year old?? Of course extra chores would be involved and lots of HIS money!
Tristan - I don't cave for intelligent, thought out arguments.:) I was however, very impressed with his letter. I just told him (as a joke) to write an essay on why he should get a phone. I loved the fact that he really wrote one!
KG - I use that one on him at least three times daily! Just this morning I was walking and saw a teenager on her cell phone at the bus stop. Really? You're going to see your friends in 5 minutes! Get off that phone and write in a journal or something!!!
Robyn, I love it.. I love all of his reasons- he sure made his point to make sure they were good reasons, he is a good kid and if you guys have the funds to pay for one- I think he deserves it, you know what to do if he is dishonest and oversteps (i have a hard time seeing him do that). Remember when pagers were the thing? So funny, I think he is of age where I would possibly consider one of mine then having one. Set some boundaries.. GO ALEC... That was a way fun post
He is such a good and responsible kid. I'm so glad that you have held out this long. Alex begs too. She has two friends that do not have a phone. We have refused. We are still refusing, but she is 11. We have told her that she can get one in middle school if she has straight A's. Whatever you decide, I think you have held out and I commend you for that. It's ridiculous all the phones kids have and how young they start. He touched my heart in that letter. That is so something my Alex would do. That's all she is asking for for Christmas for the second year in a row. She won't get it. Middle School. She will be the last of her friends for sure.
Stay strong Robyn!!! Alec is such a good kid, I can argue that it would be okay, but really why do so many kids need cell phones? We all made it through without one! I told my kids they have to be sixteen! that's the advise my brother-in-law got from his bishop who told all the parents about the crazy things he was being told were happening because of cell phones! Alec is awesome, but I say stick to your guns!
I admire your ability to hold your bottom line, really I do. But Alec is a GREAT kid DESERVING of a cell phone. Make him earn it, but let him have one. Normally I wouldn't be so insistent, but you asked for my opinion, and far be it for me to withhold it from you :)
KG: Of course we survived without them because NO ONE had them. My kids friend's started getting them in THE FIRST GRADE. SERIOUSLY. And it will only get worse. I'm guessing your oldest will have one by age 8, 10 at the latest. We let Sky have one when he was 9 and I am known in the neighborhood as the meanest, most restrictive parent. Overall it has been great. The cost is minimal, $10 per month, and he can walk to cub scouts and call to let me know he made it okay. Or he can ride his bike around the block because if he got hurt he could call for help.
Shalise - Oh yes, pagers were so the best. Everything at that age was as 911 - EMERGENCY!
Jenny - I will be strong, just for you - but 16 might be a little too long even for me.:)
Tristan - Ok, here's the thing. Alec is the greatest kid ever (he's mine so I can say that) and he deserves a lot! He has his own job and makes more than me, so he can afford one. (He's a lawn boy) BUT, I would almost rather my 7 year old have one rather than my 13 year old. I know why kids have them and why their parents want them to have them. To each his own. I just have so many dang issues with teenagers today and their cell phones. Those who can not put it away. Or who can't have a real conversation even ON their cell phone - because they have to text everything! I could go on and on - I'm a south pole elf when it comes to the distraction of them all.
My kids do call when they get to places. If they don't - I call them and they come right home and have to STAY home. The difference is, we just use the telephone in our homes. It works. For now.
So KG, I think you'll be able to use the old, 'we survived without them' until she's at least 12!
TJH- Unless your kid is Doogie Friggin Howser, MD there isn't a need. I don't think that kids should or need to be able to get in touch with their friends 24/7. Also, if kids are responsible enough to have phones they should be ok heading to scouts and coming home without calling to check in. Even on the mean streets of H-town, UT, which are scary enough that I moved out of there... (I kid, Robyn).
Robyn: I get where you are coming from. I feel about the Wii the way you do about cell phones. But you asked. And I'm the only one in the family texting...and I'm awful. I had to buy the unlimited plan with my service and my texts are so long they have to be divided and sent in 3 or 4 batches.
KG: You are right, it isn't a NEED, but it is nice. I don't let him walk around with it 24/7. He doesn't take it to school. He isn't allowed to call is friends on it. And he doesn't know how to text. He can call me, his dad or his grandma. Period.
Robyn your family is adorable. Hope you don't mind me giving my opinion.
I say no, no, no! Even though he had some great reasons and does seem like a responsible child.
My husband says our kids aren't getting cell phones until they go to college :) We'll see how long that lasts
I plan on getting an extra phone when my two oldest get older say high school age (Emily is almost 11and Colby is 9). It will be mine and I will send it with them when I feel it is necessary for my sanity.
My nephew just got one and he is nine and my other neice(13) and nephew(15) have their own also. I think it is insane. Best of luck with your tough choice.
I don't know Robyn, I really don't know. I see both sides, and I'm glad that it's not me that has to decide. I will learn through you:) He is SUPER responsible! But I have also see some pretty scary Oprahs. I wish I could help, sorry. You have done a great job so far, so just use your magic mom powers to solve this one.
The Barkers say "GET HIM A PHONE!" Kenzee says we don't see you guys enough to not have a phone. Will says maybe that way we can get a hold of the Johnson's. Randy says maybe he'll actually answer a call or a text. Jesse is probably wondering when he can write his persuasive essay.
No really Alec is awesome, middle school is a great time, he is responsible, and you know you can trust him, and you can always set rules etc. The newness and obsession wears off pretty quick and then it is pretty convienent for mom or dad to get ahold of those pesky teens.
I may be a little more cautious because I taught middle school... and I saw what went on there. But it's a real debate I've been thinking about too! (Not sure why, my kid is only 2!)
I had a pager in high school and I never used it irresponsible :) I think we can change with the times and get him a cell. You can call it the 'Fam. cell' if it meakes you feel better.
Nat - do you like how I missed you first go round - lame. So he has straight a's and I still don't love the idea. I think we are giving the a story to tell when they are older -"I was the last one out ALL my friends"- we're actually doing them a favor!
KG - calling and checking in is a must - your mean streets of H-town is nothing compared to Wendover!
Tristan - I did ask, and I love you for telling me exactly what you think! Now get those boys some nunchuks and take that phone away!
Becky - Welcome! Not only do I NOT mind your opinion, I appreciate an opinion so close to my own.:)
Kelly - Turn that dang Oprah off and start watching HGTV - we've got some painting to do over here! You can paint in your boot, right?
Barker's - you started this - why don't you just buy him one of those kids phones that can only call three numbers. He'll be able to call 911, me and you. Perfect.
Becky (Pants) - Stories. I need stories! That's what I mean!!!!
Ambrosia - I don't believe you for ONE SECOND!! How did you know a 'family phone' would make me feel better? Do you think he would mind a family phone for HIS birthday?:)
I took the smart aunt route and stayed out of this one. I want him to still like me when he has a phone and needs a ride home from somewhere and doesn't want to call his mom...:)
So here's my take on kids and cell phones. My kids have them for my benefit not there's. I love being able to track them anywhere. If I'm going to be late picking up from school, I can communicate that to them instead of having them standing around wondering. Sometimes I just want to send a text to them at school(I know I'm not supposed to) saying I love you, or have a great day. Our kids live in a different world than we lived in. I don't really consider it a luxury so much as I do a necessity. Good luck!
A family phone is great bday gift. The gift is maybe him picking the phone or one or two free months just say that its not his bday every other month so thats when he has to start to pay. Who ever gets to use it should get to pitch in on monthly cost, right?
Hi mom, thanks for everyone that voted yes for me. I appreciate it. I just wanted to say that my mom said I can get one for my 14th B-day. That's a lot better than sixteen! Thanks for the support!
-AL (P.S. I got a 4.0 GPA the whole last year if that helps any:)
24 comments:
Thanks for a great laugh! That boy is hysterical! If he wants a cell for "responsible" reasons then tell him you'll get him the "Jitter" cell.:) Then the true colors will come out. :) All jokes aside...if the finances are there then get him a cell. I would make him pay for his bill though. Tell him he can come do chores for the Mascot's for extra cash. Seriously thanks for the laugh. I love moments like that!
get that cute boy a phone!!
What a clever guy!! I think he deserves the phone. Plus, not having a cell phone wont ruin anymore of your plans to go to the lake!
I'm convinced... Of course, it should come with some sort of added responsibility or chore or something...right?
Ha! Robyn is going to have to cave! I mean, that was a well thought out, intelligent argument. Buy the kid a phone already :)
Easy for me to say since my oldest is four but I say No Phone! We survived without them and I think kids these days can as well.
Wanda! - I'm so happy you have become an official blogger - even though you are anonymous. I admit I did not know what a 'jitter' cell was but laughed so hard when I saw it was mostly for senior citizens! I think those HUGE buttons would be the talk at the middle school! I actually may have to get that phone for my SC Dad!
Emily - Alec wants to come mow your lawn for free after that comment!
Charise - Seriously, with a lake so close to us, isn't it the smart thing to do!?:) (I was really mad that day)
Claudia - would you still be convinced if it was YOUR 13 year old?? Of course extra chores would be involved and lots of HIS money!
Tristan - I don't cave for intelligent, thought out arguments.:) I was however, very impressed with his letter. I just told him (as a joke) to write an essay on why he should get a phone. I loved the fact that he really wrote one!
KG - I use that one on him at least three times daily! Just this morning I was walking and saw a teenager on her cell phone at the bus stop. Really? You're going to see your friends in 5 minutes! Get off that phone and write in a journal or something!!!
Robyn, I love it.. I love all of his reasons- he sure made his point to make sure they were good reasons, he is a good kid and if you guys have the funds to pay for one- I think he deserves it, you know what to do if he is dishonest and oversteps (i have a hard time seeing him do that). Remember when pagers were the thing? So funny, I think he is of age where I would possibly consider one of mine then having one. Set some boundaries.. GO ALEC...
That was a way fun post
He is such a good and responsible kid. I'm so glad that you have held out this long. Alex begs too. She has two friends that do not have a phone. We have refused. We are still refusing, but she is 11. We have told her that she can get one in middle school if she has straight A's. Whatever you decide, I think you have held out and I commend you for that. It's ridiculous all the phones kids have and how young they start. He touched my heart in that letter. That is so something my Alex would do. That's all she is asking for for Christmas for the second year in a row. She won't get it. Middle School. She will be the last of her friends for sure.
Stay strong Robyn!!! Alec is such a good kid, I can argue that it would be okay, but really why do so many kids need cell phones? We all made it through without one! I told my kids they have to be sixteen! that's the advise my brother-in-law got from his bishop who told all the parents about the crazy things he was being told were happening because of cell phones! Alec is awesome, but I say stick to your guns!
I admire your ability to hold your bottom line, really I do. But Alec is a GREAT kid DESERVING of a cell phone. Make him earn it, but let him have one. Normally I wouldn't be so insistent, but you asked for my opinion, and far be it for me to withhold it from you :)
KG: Of course we survived without them because NO ONE had them. My kids friend's started getting them in THE FIRST GRADE. SERIOUSLY. And it will only get worse. I'm guessing your oldest will have one by age 8, 10 at the latest. We let Sky have one when he was 9 and I am known in the neighborhood as the meanest, most restrictive parent. Overall it has been great. The cost is minimal, $10 per month, and he can walk to cub scouts and call to let me know he made it okay. Or he can ride his bike around the block because if he got hurt he could call for help.
Shalise - Oh yes, pagers were so the best. Everything at that age was as 911 - EMERGENCY!
Jenny - I will be strong, just for you - but 16 might be a little too long even for me.:)
Tristan - Ok, here's the thing. Alec is the greatest kid ever (he's mine so I can say that) and he deserves a lot! He has his own job and makes more than me, so he can afford one. (He's a lawn boy) BUT, I would almost rather my 7 year old have one rather than my 13 year old. I know why kids have them and why their parents want them to have them. To each his own. I just have so many dang issues with teenagers today and their cell phones. Those who can not put it away. Or who can't have a real conversation even ON their cell phone - because they have to text everything! I could go on and on - I'm a south pole elf when it comes to the distraction of them all.
My kids do call when they get to places. If they don't - I call them and they come right home and have to STAY home. The difference is, we just use the telephone in our homes. It works. For now.
So KG, I think you'll be able to use the old, 'we survived without them' until she's at least 12!
TJH- Unless your kid is Doogie Friggin Howser, MD there isn't a need. I don't think that kids should or need to be able to get in touch with their friends 24/7. Also, if kids are responsible enough to have phones they should be ok heading to scouts and coming home without calling to check in. Even on the mean streets of H-town, UT, which are scary enough that I moved out of there... (I kid, Robyn).
Robyn: I get where you are coming from. I feel about the Wii the way you do about cell phones. But you asked. And I'm the only one in the family texting...and I'm awful. I had to buy the unlimited plan with my service and my texts are so long they have to be divided and sent in 3 or 4 batches.
KG: You are right, it isn't a NEED, but it is nice. I don't let him walk around with it 24/7. He doesn't take it to school. He isn't allowed to call is friends on it. And he doesn't know how to text. He can call me, his dad or his grandma. Period.
Robyn your family is adorable. Hope you don't mind me giving my opinion.
I say no, no, no! Even though he had some great reasons and does seem like a responsible child.
My husband says our kids aren't getting cell phones until they go to college :) We'll see how long that lasts
I plan on getting an extra phone when my two oldest get older say high school age (Emily is almost 11and Colby is 9). It will be mine and I will send it with them when I feel it is necessary for my sanity.
My nephew just got one and he is nine and my other neice(13) and nephew(15) have their own also. I think it is insane.
Best of luck with your tough choice.
I don't know Robyn, I really don't know. I see both sides, and I'm glad that it's not me that has to decide. I will learn through you:) He is SUPER responsible! But I have also see some pretty scary Oprahs. I wish I could help, sorry. You have done a great job so far, so just use your magic mom powers to solve this one.
The Barkers say "GET HIM A PHONE!" Kenzee says we don't see you guys enough to not have a phone. Will says maybe that way we can get a hold of the Johnson's. Randy says maybe he'll actually answer a call or a text. Jesse is probably wondering when he can write his persuasive essay.
No really Alec is awesome, middle school is a great time, he is responsible, and you know you can trust him, and you can always set rules etc. The newness and obsession wears off pretty quick and then it is pretty convienent for mom or dad to get ahold of those pesky teens.
Love ya
The Barkers
I may be a little more cautious because I taught middle school... and I saw what went on there. But it's a real debate I've been thinking about too! (Not sure why, my kid is only 2!)
Let me know what you decide...
I had a pager in high school and I never used it irresponsible :) I think we can change with the times and get him a cell. You can call it the 'Fam. cell' if it meakes you feel better.
Nat - do you like how I missed you first go round - lame. So he has straight a's and I still don't love the idea. I think we are giving the a story to tell when they are older -"I was the last one out ALL my friends"- we're actually doing them a favor!
KG - calling and checking in is a must - your mean streets of H-town is nothing compared to Wendover!
Tristan - I did ask, and I love you for telling me exactly what you think! Now get those boys some nunchuks and take that phone away!
Becky - Welcome! Not only do I NOT mind your opinion, I appreciate an opinion so close to my own.:)
Kelly - Turn that dang Oprah off and start watching HGTV - we've got some painting to do over here! You can paint in your boot, right?
Barker's - you started this - why don't you just buy him one of those kids phones that can only call three numbers. He'll be able to call 911, me and you. Perfect.
Becky (Pants) - Stories. I need stories! That's what I mean!!!!
Ambrosia - I don't believe you for ONE SECOND!! How did you know a 'family phone' would make me feel better? Do you think he would mind a family phone for HIS birthday?:)
I took the smart aunt route and stayed out of this one. I want him to still like me when he has a phone and needs a ride home from somewhere and doesn't want to call his mom...:)
So here's my take on kids and cell phones. My kids have them for my benefit not there's. I love being able to track them anywhere. If I'm going to be late picking up from school, I can communicate that to them instead of having them standing around wondering. Sometimes I just want to send a text to them at school(I know I'm not supposed to) saying I love you, or have a great day. Our kids live in a different world than we lived in. I don't really consider it a luxury so much as I do a necessity. Good luck!
A family phone is great bday gift. The gift is maybe him picking the phone or one or two free months just say that its not his bday every other month so thats when he has to start to pay. Who ever gets to use it should get to pitch in on monthly cost, right?
Hi mom, thanks for everyone that voted yes for me. I appreciate it. I just wanted to say that my mom said I can get one for my 14th B-day. That's a lot better than sixteen! Thanks for the support!
-AL
(P.S. I got a 4.0 GPA the whole last year if that helps any:)
Post a Comment