Last Summer I was asked to speak at our Stake Young Women's Camp. I was told that the youth scripture for 2010 was Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”
The Camp Director had said that the theme they were using, because of that scripture, would be Super Hero's! She gave me some different ideas about what I could talk on but wanted to leave it up to me. They would have lots of fun things to do based upon being a Hero. Heroes are strong and courageous.
At the end of our conversation I knew that I would be speaking about...
A Hero's Heart.
This is one of the greatest blessings I have had, to write and prepare this talk. Then, to go up to the most beautiful place and present this to one of my favorite groups of people. The Young Women!
Even if it was the longest talk I had ever given. (30 min.!)
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
-Unknown
I tried to explain to the young women that their hearts are their super power. That the world is trying to destroy our precious hearts. As we grow old and gain life experiences our hearts naturally become wounded. Sometimes our choices and the people we choose as friends damage or can crush our hearts. Unfortunately, often we are the ones who can destroy our own heart. The things we think and say to ourselves create so much damage to our heart. The very 'super power' that gives us life, can be destroyed if we don't protect it. I introduced them to my term 'Don't crush my heart' (said in a very teenage voice). And, we also talked about what to do if their super power already looked like the painting of the crushed heart. (Done by the ever so talented, Michelle Jones. She painted what was in my head, only better. I don't know how she does that!)I obviously use my hands too much to talk.
Many small and simple miracles happened after deciding what my talk would be on, which led me toPaul Cardall. One of the first things I read from him was, "I was born with half a heart, God made up the difference."
He is an amazing human being. Because he writes things like this. He has a 'hero's heart'. He is a hero to so many. He is carrying many of us who are weak, because that's what heroes do. They carry people. His testimony is strong and I am thankful I was introduced to his life, his struggles, and his example. I have since listened to his wife speak and heard him play in concert. Jeremy took me for Valentine's Day to Cottonwood High School to see him perform his latest CD 'New Life'. Jeremy and I have both noticed a different feeling in our home when Paul's music is coming from our stereo. After knowing what his body had been through, and then to see him perform with such power, strength, and conviction moved me to tears many times throughout the night. If you know of him, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, I would love to recommend that you read his inspiring words here. (and buy his CD!) He was a big part of my talk, in fact, he sent me a wonderful e-mail that I got to share with the young women.
I have since given this talk a couple more times at Relief Society functions. Each time I learn something new, feel something different, and realize it's just as important to women. We never stop telling ourselves how fat we look, how not good enough we are, how messy our house is, how better our neighbor is, how many mistakes we've made, and life never stops 'happening'. Death, disabilities, divorce, unemployment, betrayal, depression will always happen. Satan (#1 villain) will always be here helping us 'remember' those lies we tell ourselves. And, for some reason, women are still mean to each other. Just like teenagers. There are enough of life's battles happening and we do not need to help with the crushing of others. In fact, just the opposite. I believe that we should be the ones to lift and carry each other when another needs us. With strength and courage and help from the Savior, we can carry ourselves and others wherever we go.
I think we could all use a little 'Don't Crush My Heart'.
(But, you have to say it in your best teenage voice! It's just better!)
This clip is what made me do this post. I was there this night, on Valentine's Day. I was sad to hear that Holly had passed away and was just so moved as I read what Paul Cardall wrote about her. Just like this night when he played for her.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the Heart."
- Hellen Keller
If our super power is crushed and damaged, we will no longer be able to see the beauty that surrounds us daily. That beauty becomes dull, life becomes harder, sin becomes easier, the light in you becomes faded, and Satan will find a way there. Our hearts must be covered in Armor. I also believe that we are the ones responsible for helping our children build their own armor, until they can do it for themselves!
Instead, we should tell ourselves that we are beautiful, smart, choice, heroic, daughters of God.
And, We are magnificent in the eyes of our Father.
Instead, we should tell ourselves that we are beautiful, smart, choice, heroic, daughters of God.
And, We are magnificent in the eyes of our Father.
Go ahead.
Say it out loud.
A little valley girl like.
Don't crush my heart.
(thanks)






6 comments:
For reals you are back. I love that talk. You said it so beautifully. You express yourself in such a way that it touches everyone's hearts. I won't Crush my Heart anymore, or at least I will reread your post. It's so easy to do and so damaging too. I might need to use that in my girls camp this year. Our value is Integrity. I think it fits!! Thanks girl for the morning boost.
okay I love that! and I love your talk and your inspirations! wow! girl!
I have been following Paul Cardell for a long time now..his story is absolutely amazing. His music is so beautiful. I love how you tied it all in. Life is all about the journey! What great advice you have...thanks for that!
and Jeremy is so SWEET! To plan and take you to the concert on Valentines Day..nothing sweeter!
love the Helen Keller quote! Ashlyn has that hung up in her room. fabulous!
Can't wait to see you girl! tons of love! xoxo
I said love and sweet a lot! Sorry! And just re read your post! It is so insightful. No wonder you have been asked to speak so many times! You have always been so good at that...wish u were in my ward! :) awwww. Maybe one day!
I love reading your blog, you are AMAZING! Thanks for always having such good things to say and giving me so much to think about:) I wish I could have you come speak to my Relief Society :)
I love it and you! So much truth to that.
I heart you.
Post a Comment