Have you ever been so proud of someone you can't even stand it????
Saturday was a beautiful day. The sadness of not being a runner that day passed very quickly as I stood at the finish line of the Ogden Marathon. I cried as people passed by with their arms in the air. I cried when people passed by and could no longer stand, as people rushed to their side to hold them up. We saw two people completely lose consciousness, and a couple runners had to be taken away in a wheelchair. One man did a cartwheel across the finish line and another man yelled "BOSTON" as he crossed. How much joy can you feel for a complete stranger? I was amazed as the female winner passed by in under 3 hours. A true inspiration! As her friend passed behind her in third place I cried again as they just hugged for minutes as if they hadn't seen each other for years. If anyone is ever in need of being lifted - go to the finish line of a marathon or any race. Watch the runners families react and watch for that "I did it!" look in their eyes. You will be lifted.
But the best moment, one I'll never forget, is seeing my little sister in green, coming through that finish line strong. Seeing her determination and drive to make it to the end in the time she wanted, will be a cherished memory for as long as I have a memory.

I will try to explain how proud I am of my Dawnie. I'm telling you, if we all had the strength of her mind we would all get a lot more accomplished in life. She is strong. She KNOWS that she can do anything she sets out to do. It's been said we need to 'train our minds' that we might be able to overcome the trials and battles in our lives. Her mind is trained! Failure is not an option in anything she does. Difficult challenges have been a large part of her life and with every single one, she comes out better and stronger. She is a powerful influence on so many who know her and love her. That day my little sister showed me just what she is made of. She killed it!!!
3 hours 32 minutes - complete! (beat her previous time by 14 minutes!)
Boston Qualifier! - HER DREAM!- I don't even get how someone can do that!

It was about this time when she came to me and we just held each other. I just kept saying, YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! And she DID!
Good Job Sister! Love your stinkin' guts!

And then she quickly needed her wonderful husband to hold her up! He does that. They're a match made in heaven - they hold each other up. He ran with her at mile 23 - she said he was her angel. Kasey waited many years for her and I'm sure thankful he did! LOVE THEM!
Dawn swears she did so well because of the shoes! I think it's because her legs are as little as Savvy's!
Dawn hasn't eaten a hamburger in approximately 7 years!
26. 2 miles down...Burger Bar to go!
She ate...she LOVED! I heard her say "What have I been missing all these years!?"
She is now on 'bed rest' until there is a little bambino in the belly. Praying for them and their family!
Shortly after Dawnie crossed that beautiful finish line, my other inspiration came through. Amber finished this marathon in her best time too! 4 hours 4 minutes - complete! I would have been another hour for sure! She just ran the New York Marathon and then this one and now says she will do the Logan with me! She is a machine! She has run through an injured hip and still had a remarkable finish. I know that I will never be able to do what they both can do, but they make me want to try.

I Love you Amber!
*On another note: I want to just tell our friends the Welch's how proud we are of them too! Sunday afternoon we went to church and found out we have a new Bishop. Kirk and Heather have created a strong and faithful family and now our ward gets to share the love they have for all who know them. Jeremy and I know that there is not a better man for this HUGE calling than our friend. He is an outstanding leader and man. AND his wife! Oh, she is the reason they are all so great! She is a hero to all of us. We all know they will change the lives of so many!
Our prayers are with them during this time in their lives and continue to be with their entire family as they go through the struggle of watching their little Sadie go through her difficult battle. If you have a moment please check in on her blog and pray for her family.
We love you friends!
6 comments:
You two girls are both amazing. I know you would have crossed the finish line too. You still will-in a matter of time. How cool that Dawn ate a hamburger. Is she going to do it again. Is she going to Boston to run the marathon before taking her bed rest. I hope she gets that baby soon. I'm so happy for her. You are such a great sista!!!! You always stood by her and loved her. You are fabulous!!!!
I read about Sadie and I was in tears. What a struggle for a little family. What an awesome family. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.
I used to think I would never run. It has never been my thing. But a post that you did a while back made me wonder if maybe I could. Lately at the gym, I can't keep my heart rate up by just speed walking and have started jogging. I seriously doubt I'll ever run a marathon, but maybe a 5K. You and Dawn and Amber are so inspirational!
And congrats Kirk and family!
Wow, what an athlete! I can't believe Dawn's fantastic time, it's incredible and how awesome that she hit her goal! You are so supportive and loving, I'm a little envious of your relationship w/your sis...
Your post makes me want to go run! BTW, is your new bishop the Kirk Welch former beetdigger/assistant soccer coach? He is so young to be Bishop if that's the case!!
Congrats Dawnie, Amber, Kirk and Heather!
(But isn't Dawnie too old to have legs that small and isn't Kirk too young to be a bishop?)
Wow!! tell Dawn congrats on her marathon...that is amazing how well she did. Her time blows me away!
Sweet of you to be there for her....nothing like a sis supporting you. Cute pics of you two!
..and not have a hamburger in 7 years?!? craziness. Glad she finally gave in, they are soooo delicious.
xoxo
Nat - YES! I am making her eat one a week until she gets pregnant! A little bit of red meat will be good for her! Thanks for having faith in me - it makes me want to do it! XOXO
Tristan - YAY!!!!!! Get some good running tunes and crank up the i-pod, go in the morning outside, run through your neighbors sprinklers and you will be hooked! I will run your 5K with you! IF my legs works - but this morning it totally worked!!!! I'm comin' back:)
Nancy - yes, former beetdigger, soccer coach, etc. CAN you believe it??? So young true, but when your it - your it! He is really so perfect and everyone out here is so excited!
We still training for Logan????
Corb - Dawnie will be 80 and still running and still have those bird legs - she should have been named Robyn!
Tawny - You could totally do that too miss speed demon!
I know, we need to take her out and show her what real people eat! None of those Turkey Dogs or Veggie Burgers anymore!
Post a Comment