April 17, 2009

the wasted three year old...

I know we all have days we feel like a crappy mom. Today is that day.

I feel like a bad mom because first of all I waited a year to get my son into the dentist. Then when we did go, he had three cavities. So I'm a bad mom for not brushing his teeth good enough. Then because he is only three, they have to put him under. That's right, a bad mom. Then it works out perfectly that we could really use that $350 somewhere else right now. Bad. Plus this three year old bites his nails, so I must be a bad mom. Plus that SAME three year old eats too much cold cereal. You guessed it, BAD!



So today I spent the morning crying and taking care of my wasted son.

When the anesthesiologist poked his arm and Luke rubbed it like 'what the heck was that for?', I started having this weird feeling inside. Then when he was sitting on my lap with his eyes open but his head started bobbing from side to side, the tears started coming. Then when I said his name because he looked awake, and the needle poker said "He's really not there," the tears were flowing. The nice man gave me a tissue and I gave him my son. That's right he just scooped him up and took him away.

What a bad mom.

When they asked me to come back and sit with him while he woke up, and things were hooked up to him and he had marks from where they taped his eyes shut, I couldn't take much more. I'm already a complete mess and this just wasn't working for me. Luckily, I had to pull myself together because there were people all around. Luckily, I had 45 minutes for him to wake up and in the meantime ask for some strength! Luckily, there was an angel there who when I mentioned what a bad mom I was, told me I was wrong. That the bad mom would have never gotten his teeth fixed. She said that it happens all the time, that kids come in with problems in their mouth and their parents never fix them.

I felt a little better.

Until Luke woke up and told me I had three eyes.


When your three year old says his head is wiggly and he wants to go to the car wash, you know he's wasted! But I was thankful for the next hour that he made me laugh and forget about being bad.


BEFORE...

AFTER!

WASTED AT THE CAR WASH!

Looking at my third eye!

13 comments:

Claudia said...

You are an awesome mom, even if you have 3 eyes!
So far in my life, I have never experienced anything worse than handing off my child and having him put under anesthesia - it's just horrible. The good news is that this will be much more traumatic to you than it is to him.

The Eerkes' said...

No such thing as a bad mom, especially with 3 eyes! Robby, you are an awesome mom! Don't think anything differently. Love the 'wasted' Luke look. Love him and you! Smile and look at all 4 of those perfect babies and know that you got them all there, where they are, and a 'bad' mom couldn't have done that great of a job!

Robyn said...

Claudia - what about if I have "two mouth'es"!!??

I completely agree with you. I did this 10 years ago when Alec had to have his front teeth built back up, and there was nothing worse. Carter had his adnoids out and again - I had the hardest time. You would think I would be a pro by now, but yesterday was one of my 'worst days so far'!
Thanks for being to positive!

Kimmy - I love you and thank you, thank you! I have a great big sister to look up to!

Corbie said...

Three eyes would be totally acceptable if all three looked like yours...

tristanjh said...

Okay, I was waiting for Corbie to say this, but since she did not, I will. Having three eyes, especially ones as beautiful as yours, is far superior to having three boobs. It's all about perspective :)

Corbie said...

That's funny because I was actually going to go the three boob route but then I figured I would resist the temptation since I so rarely do :)

Robyn said...

Do you guys remember who you are talking to?
I have two eyes, I don't need another. I don't have any boobs so three would be just fine!

Unknown said...

Bad Mom, Huh? Go back and read your previous post, you just might change your mind.

Chad and Kelly said...

At this point, I just think I want a little of what he is having! Looks fun!

Natalie said...

That was so sad. I could feel your tears. I've had plenty go out, but not for teeth yet. You are such a good mom. We all feel like bad moms sometimes. He looks so sad in his car seat. I bet he was funny to talk too!!!!

Robyn said...

Emily - Ah, yes that day I was good. Now if I only didn't have the other's, that would be perfect!

Kelly - I know where we could get us some. Tomorrow, my house, noon.

Nat - It really was so funny, maybe I'll have to post the clip. He was so excited when he could walk straight again!

tawny said...

okay just read the post and cry! Nothing worse than seeing YOUR CHILD be put "under." Austin had surgery twice at Primary Children's for his cyst on his neck/chest and it was awful. I cried the whole time.

WE are there MOMMMA's and we would do anything for them and we wish they didn't have to experience any pain!

Luke did so good..yay. What a strong boy and strong momma. And I agree with Corbie, if he had your 3 eyes he would be B E A U T I F U L!

love ya, see ya soon! xoxo

Sarah said...

While my mom, Todd and I were watching Evan in the bathtub, he stood up fell and cut open his skin just below his eyebrow. At Primary Children's E.R it took them FOUR attempts to get an I.V. needle in him. While four of us held him down, he screamed and looked at me like "why the hell are you doing this to me???". Yeah, I TOTAllY understand that feeling of crappy mom. But that woman is right - the real crappy parents are the one's who don't get accidents fixed!

And I could use a third boob too.