February 24, 2009

it's all worth it...

So on our way to Summit Academy for the Charter school basketball championship game yesterday, I was trying to pump Alec up. You know the, leave it all on the floor - do your best - no regrets - play the entire game as if it depended on you - this could be your last game playing for Northstar, so make it count - etc.


What?????

What do you mean this could be my last game for Northstar? (said Alec)

Well, we are all a little burned out Alec. 5 games a week plus practices is a bit hard on our family. (said me)

Silence.

Sad Face.
Oh no. Not right before the game. I had to change my tactic a little. So I explained that it was ok Alec, it was a learning year. It's been so much fun watching all three teams you play on, and you've learned so much from 3 different coaches. You've got to play in the Utah Valley University basketball arena, and won a championship game there. It's been great. Really. I promise.

Even though I can tell you've been playing like your burned out. I haven't seen the 'fire' for a while. The progress has come to a halt. And so what if you have tendinitis in both knees (jumpers knee) at age 12 - and I can tell they bug you when you're running down the court.

But it's fine...we just might NOT do it next year...or maybe we will...I just don't know...
Finally, I just said prove me wrong. Show me progress. Play like your knees don't hurt. If they do, play anyway. It's only an hour. Be a good team-mate, and have fun! Oh ya, and you better BEAT SUMMIT!
And it happened!















On the way home Alec couldn't stop smiling and laughing. He had such a great game, and totally proved me wrong. He played with heart, and was happy with himself. That was exactly what I wanted to hear!
Northstar went 16 - 0 this season, what a great group of boys!
Alec wanted me to post this picture on the right, because they thought his friend 'little K' in the background was hilarious. He supposedly brings good luck to everyone, kindove like a leprechaun! He's tiny, but we all love him for it. 'Big K' is the one next to Alec, those two are best buddies, and this is a great memory for both of them.
Good Job buddy, you deserve this!
On our way home, Alec was talking about playing in High School and how fun it will be riding a bus to their games. Then he stopped and said "but maybe I would want to you take me because you pump me up for my games."
It was a good night.

4 comments:

The Briggs said...

I've said it before and I will say it again, if I knew that my kids would turn out like AL, I would have 10 kids!

tristanjh said...

Again, I am in awe. I couldn't handle 2 games and one practice in a week. Right now we are happy with one, yes just one, karate lesson weekly. And cub scouts, and mounds of homework :)

Corbie said...

I'm finally done sobbing and ready to say this...you are my parenting hero...you are my rock. You are proof that good kids are not made by 'accident' but instead by continually, day after day, being the parent that most kids can only dream of. Alec is definitely rare...but so are you.

pcoutdoorproducts said...

Great job Alec, keep playing as long as you don't injure yourself for things later in life. Sports can be hard on the body..