September 20, 2008

what poor people eat for dinner...


As far as dinner goes, what makes you think of being so poor your mom just fed you the only thing she could conjure up with the measly ingredients in her kitchen? Is it Top Ramen poured over mashed potatoes, or something like saltine crackers covered in Tomato Soup mixed with cheese soup. (some call that rarebit and it was a treat to Jeremy) Maybe at your house it was something from a chef boyardee can (generic brand for us) or better yet something from a jar your mom had in her food storage for at least 8 years! When I think back to my parent's 'hard times' I remember eating a lot of mush, lynn wilson burritos and pancakes. The pancakes were actually a treat for me, my dad truly makes the best! My father in law, to this day, can not eat chicken pot pie! He has bad memories of being a child and getting fed silly old store bought chicken pot pies when times were tough. He can not even eat a homemade pot pie, or the yummy one from Archibalds at Gardner Villiage! I couldn't help but think of him the entire time I took those disgusting chicken pot pies from my deep freezer, out of the box and into the oven a few nights ago. (6 people in my fam, I only cooked 5...Robyn can't eat those either) I actually laughed at the fact that if he came over, he would be so disappointed in me. So I was happily surprised when I walked in after Alec's court of honor to see my father in law sitting on my couch clearly un-impressed with what was for dinner at my house! Dangit, of all the nights to come over, he totally caught me. He also saw the 'malt-o-meal' cereal in my pantry that I just bought at Albertson's 4 for $4, who passes that up, right? (generic cereal is clearly as unimpressive) Well I've come to the conclusion that I am officially making my in-laws cry over what I am feeding their grandchildren. Maybe I should have my kids explain how much they love chicken pot pie, and how they all really wanted seconds that night, except for Luke who won't even eat bread so he doesn't count! They also need to tell them that they LOVE top ramen, mac n' cheese, potato pearls, oatmeal and pancakes for dinner! Times are definitely tough, ask any american, times are tough. We eat what is put in front of us, and my kids will one day will tell people their parents made them eat a piece of toast with cream of chicken soup poured over it, topped with shredded cheese. Everything tastes better with cheese. Then they will admit that it was a treat!

8 comments:

The Eerkes' said...

I can't do chicken pot pie either. Got sick when I was pregnant with Am and that has stuck with me for all these years. As for all the others, there is nothing wrong with them. I'll have to try the toast with cream of chicken soup and cheese. Doesn't sound half bad. I did splurge and buy the 2 pack of pot roast at Costco? So excited to throw one in the crockpot with carrots and potatoes....oh, but no. Dan decided to take them out of the freezer for some reason, and left them out. One fell behind our freezer and rotted for a few days before he figured out what it was. Sad...we're back to rarebit and ramen.

Corbie said...

For me, the so-poor-you-just-have-to-eat-it food is a piece of bread wth butter spread on it and sugar sprinkled on top. I still love it. The real treat was goulash (sp?) which I think can be made different ways but at my house was pasta, hamburger meat, corn, and spaghetti sauce (or something of that sort). I loved it and I am craving it right now :).

tristanjh said...

Believe it or not, I love frozen chicken pot pies. No, not the fancy Marie Calendar's varitey. For me, nothing beats the Banquet brand that you can buy at Walmart for 50 cents. My kids love them too. My kids also love Top Ramen noodles. Plain, with nothing else. And they eat frozen pancakes for breakfast nearly every morning, the Walmart generic brand no less. When it comes to cereal, however, I'm a snob. I refuse to by generic. I have to have my General Mills brand Cheerios and occassionally, Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It's kind of like buying generic diet soda, Robyn, it will never taste even remotely close to Diet Coke :) I can't taste any difference between generic Crystal Light and the real thing, however, Too bad they don't have the variety with an obsene amount of caffeine in it yet. I know how you like that jittery feeling in the a.m.

tristanjh said...

And I meant 'buy.'

Anonymous said...

My folks always made "garden goulash" which was a little of everything growing in the garden. If we were lucky it had hamburger in it. I did not like it!

Denise said...

I can do chicken pot pie only when it's mine (as in homemade).

For us, it was pretty much breakfast (pancakes, eggs, sausage), or mac & cheese with cut up hotdogs. We ALWAYS had veggies, though.

Oh, the stories I could tell....

Our Little Family said...

I agree. Somedays I just find what is in the fridge or pantry and say 'here's dinner'. I get some pretty interesting looks. cute Blog background by the way!!

brohammas said...

My mom made "mussgo soup" (as in must go). She threw every leftover in the fridge in a pot and made soup.

It was horrible.