November 25, 2009

'tis the season...

'Tis the season for so many things. I have started (and not finished) a blog post about many of these things. So many things I am thankful for. So many things during the season that make me cry. Just this morning I started crying on my way to school when O' Come All Ye Faithful came on the radio. This time of year, I find that I talk to myself often. I have to say things like -
"JOHNSON!, pull it together!"
I am thankful that I have to tell myself to pull it together. It means my life has meaning. It means that I feel joy. Maybe it means that my emotions are uncontrollable, but I'll take that too!
Even if my joy, is different than yours - may this time of year bring much joy in every aspect of each of our lives.
Over the weekend mine came during many 'games'.
A son's basketball game, a date with my son to a game, and a party with my family to watch the big game. Then topped off Monday, with a trip to the airport to celebrate the win of the big game.

Before Alec and I got to the Jazz game, we decided we would try to get a picture of him with Eric Maynor and myself with the fantastic Paul Milsap. We totally succeeded!

Not only did we get those pictures, Alec was a super star and got on the jumbo-tron twice! How cool is that! (and if you look closely you can see me taking the picture)


I may or may not think Milsap is great.



I love this little man. He has become such a good friend. Someone I could spend hours with. I'm thankful he is mine forever.

The next night we were able to watch history in the making. Watching Carter, watch the MLS Cup was most definitely a highlight in my life. When someone you love, loves something so much it becomes a part of you too. Lucky for me, soccer became a part of me first, when I was his age. It's something we love together. His intense feelings about the sport make for a fun scene. I think it was the second overtime, when he said to me, "I can't take it Mom. Will you just tell me when they get to PK's?"

When Real Salt Lake won the Galaxy in a shoot out - oh man, that's what happiness is.
Happiness is also my boys and my dad watching sports together. I love it.

The next day when I heard the players were coming home, and would be at the airport, I knew that Carter being there would make a difference in his life. I don't know what difference right now, but I know it will. So, I checked him out of school, talked some friends into coming with and headed to Salt Lake International Airport.
He still can't believe I checked him out of school for it.
I still can't believe he got to meet Kosta Koufos, see the team arrive, got interviewed from Kerry Kronk (channel 13), got almost all the players autographs on his newspaper, touched the MLS Cup, and had one of his best days so far. Ya know those days - the ones you know you were where you were suppose to be? It was that kind of day. A little magical.

Although our bit was snubbed from the actual report, it was still pretty cool to be interviewed.
When are they going to get here!!???
The crowd!
We brought the newspaper, hoping to have them full of signatures to frame and hang.
Here are the players arriving. They were taking just as many pictures of the crowd! It was such a special moment for everyone there. The team definitely deserved all of it!
Robbie Russell with 'the cup' - the last player to knock his shot in. The moment of him on his knees is unforgettable.
Coach Jason Kreis and some guy who was getting his picture taken as Jason was signing our boys newspapers!!
Andy Williams. How cool was it to see how emotional he was when they won!
This is Carter's favorite player, Javier Morales. He was very gracious and his smile to Carter made everything worth it!
And then we left with what we came to get....
A very happy boy!


I am thankful this weekend that the Jazz and Real Salt Lake won in overtime! Both my boys had much sun shining down.

Today, I am also so thankful for the relationship I have with my children. Every moment in our lives is different and exciting. Each season in our lives brings different blessings. It's fun to have a teenager and at the same time a toddler. Then, a ten year old who has my same personality and of course my little angel, my only daughter, who I get to now take to The Nutcracker.
Each one is so amazing and I appreciate each of their special personalities and strengths.
Thankful doesn't seem to explain it.
But most of you, just know.
Happy Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Corbie said...

I feel grateful that I have a friend who cries as often as I do and who has Diamond Rio in her playlist). Love the pics...and you.

tawny said...

Wow this post blew me away!!!

Your pics, your words, your kids PURE joy and happiness...you are such a good mama trying to always let them have true passions in life...

The pic of you and ALec...holy smokes..FRAME that!! You two are twins...beautiful!

The pic of Carter at the airport.. amazing, timeless, a moment to ALWAYS remember...way to go girl. You are amazing to do that for Carter. He will never forget that...

I love you and so grateful for you on this Thanksgiving day!!!
(love that you cry to songs in your car too...ive been doing that a lot lately...man we are sister twins!) Love you!

tristanjh said...

I always cry reading your posts. Your family is awesome! I was just thinking about checking my kids out of school this week, but was wavering a bit. Now I am definitely going to. These moments won't last forever and I am so grateful for the reminder to savor every one!

Kevin and Jeni said...

What an awesome weekend for your cute fam! I love all the fun memories you make, and all the fun pictures you take! You are such a good mom:)

Becky said...

You are an amazing Mom! The kind of Mom that shops all night to get the perfect gifts for her kids :)

Hope your shopping was successful, it was good to see you in passing, even though I was so SLEEPY and on a mission for a Hello Kitty alarm clock.

Natalie said...

Wow!!! I bet your boys think you are the best mama in the whole world. Those are some awesome adventures and memories forever.

I love the different ages too and how they are fun doing what they are doing. There is nothing better than spending one on one time with each child and their loves. They will cherish and love you forever for it. You are such an example to all of us and to your kids. Thanks girly.

Nancy said...

Loved your post Robyn, you have a way with words. You are a great Mom and your family is lucky to have you!

tawny said...

Okay I really really want to tell Alec HOW PROUD I am of him and his accomplishments for the Warmth of the Children.

Your stories touched my heart and I teared up just reading your stories of where you took the coats adn how you blessed so many....that is so awesome.

The Johnson family is the BEST...
You always inspire me to be a better person!!!! love you!