I have stated on my 'today I am thankful for' sidebar that playing basketball is like Christmas for me every week. I love it! I was sooooo excited to find out that there were women who play over at the church in my mom's neighborhood every week and I was welcome to come play with them. I love watching my boys play basketball but there is just something about playing myself that gets me giddy every Tues. and Thur. night. When I can't make it the next morning, it hurts. It's like missing Christmas...well kindove (you get the point).
These injuries are from the great sport. For some reason, my mind thinks I can run as fast as a 17 year old, but this old body isn't getting it done. I fall, I get jammed fingers, I have even come close to passing out. This jammed finger lasted FOREVER and I no longer can wear my ring on that finger. It was already twice the size of my left one anyway, so I was very irritated. When this happened my thumb had just barely healed from the same dang thing!


Jeremy loves basketball, he loves watching and playing. However, he refuses to play church ball. He is a very calm, low key fella who finds it very disturbing that grown men act the way they do over a church basketball game! We all know the crazy that goes on over there at the church when basketball is happening - it's just not for him.
It's for me.
This morning, I may have crossed over to the crazy. Am I the type that Jeremy avoids? Is he married to what he can't stand about all those respectively 'passionate' ballers? Is he talking about ME?
I am a fan of blocking shots. I feel something through my veins when I block a shot. The sound, the stolen points, the frustration given, the feeling of the ball smacking my hand...I can't get enough. It's the best part of basketball.
Well, it's not really in me to shy away from blocking a shot even if it is at the church, even if it's with women who probably thought they were coming just to have fun, even if it's to someone who hasn't really played ball, ever. But when I started playing with these ladies, I kindove held back because I didn't want anyone to think I was mean. Well they know me now, they know I am 'passionate'. We've played enough that we all just laugh when we block each other's shots, or when we steal the ball from each other. We laugh ALL the time. I may or may not have pee'd a time or two from laughing. It's an easy going, tough but not crazy game. Or is it?
This morning I was feeling it. I was blocking some shots. I was making my shots. My passing was on. I wasn't even tired. It was all too good! So when my friend Corrina was dribbling with her head down and I could see in her eyes that she was going to shoot it, of course I had to do it. I stepped up to her and with all my might lifted my arm and jumped. Now, Corrina is probably one of those girls who just comes to play for the fun of it. She is not competitive. Church ball is probably the extent of her basketball experience, and she may just go there to get some exercise.
Unfortunately, I smacked the ball right back in her face. Yes, it hit her in the face. Hard. In the mouth. It looked like it hurt. She didn't really bleed, I don't think. But she had to sit down, and for some reason that ended the game. I didn't do it on purpose! Everyone was making jokes, telling me it's just a game, maybe something about crossing the line, telling Corrina not to accept my apology etc. It was really actually very funny. However, on my way home, I had to wonder about my husbands opinion of church ball, and wonder it all those girls were in their cars saying can you believe she would do that!? Am I the reason people won't come to play?
I think Jer's problem is more with the complaining and crying and yelling from grown men and NOT the competitive crazy's. I don't yell, complain or cry. I am trying so hard to be just medium crazy, and only one slip up today won't stop my progress. I will continue on with church ball, and I will watch myself and my 'passion'. I will learn to control my 10 foot long arm and only become crazy when there is someone in a striped uniform in the middle of the court.
I will continue to work on NOT ruining Christmas.

This is what a huddle looks like at our pick up games. Children are always involved and quite often run on the court to help their mommy out! Only a few have been mildly injured when we run over them.






10 comments:
There is nothing in the world a plate of brownies won't fix. Even if you didn't mean it (and you didn't), the brownies will guarantee no hard feelings.
Just my thoughts...or maybe I'm just hungry for brownies.
Oh girl, you can't help it! That's who you are as an athlete and you feel it in your bones and it is instinct... I can sooo relate to you. Don't feel bad for your competitive spirit, that's just who you are and i love it! Love you! ~
Robyn, I laughed so hard reading this. I could picture it all in my mind as I scrolled down the page. I want to be as passionate as you are about something. You are an inspiration to me :)
Two words..atta baby!
You know my philosophy...take no prisoners...even sweet ones from relief societ.
I'm speechless. You have always been competitive in everything. That's what gets you to where you are in life.
Claudia - brownies it is! I need some too!
Tawny - oh I know you can relate. Us tall girls stick together!
Tristan - you would have laughed so hard if you were there too! Karina has since e-mailed and said she's fine...passion payed off. You probably are just passionate about things that really matter!
Corb - I knew you would be proud.
Nat - Maybe now you could come up with that nickname you have never given me.:)
That's funny. Should it be Rowdy Robyn, Passionate Johnson, or what's a good one with competitive in it. I will have to think.
Natalie: You can go with the one we've all used for decades...Little Slugger.
What happens at Sconecutter and Round Ball Ruckus stays at Sconecutter and Round Ball Ruckus.
To this post: you are a competition junkie! To the previous post: you are a spiritual role model.
Post a Comment